Monday, July 8, 2013

3 lbs. a week

As much as I love the holidays, I also seriously hate them! My family LOVES going out to eat (especially Italian food) so we went to NYC to a cute little italian place, but then Olive Garden today! Needless to say, this all stops tomorrow.

After being intrigued by my friend Ellen and her fast that she undertook, I decided to research how to lose 3 lbs a week.

After being de-railed for the latter half of June, I want to make some serious strides! Losing weight seems to be (at the basic level) a numbers game, and I wanted to see what it would look like for me to lose 3 lbs in a week.

I found this article that describes what you need to do, and after plugging in the values for my age, height and weight, it came down to this:

Step One: Calculate your resting metabolic rate (determined by your age, height, weight, and activity level. I usually put moderate activity, because while I try to workout everyday, I don't really think it's "high intensity" at all). Mine is 2,550 calories a day.

Step Two: Subtract 600 calories from this number, as the number of calories you're going to eat in a day. 2,550-600 = 1,950. While this number seemed a bit high to me, just wait until you see what's next. It all made sense after that.

Step Three: Burn NINE HUNDRED CALORIES A DAY.  This brings my daily caloric intake to 1,050 after subtracting exercise.

I know that this all won't make sense unless you read the article, so before you begin to think that I'm insane, just read the article on caloric deficits that I linked above.

Thought: I suppose you could reverse this and cut out 900 calories a day and burn 600. To me, this seems a bit more reasonable. At the end of the day, you're going to have a 1,500 calorie deficit each day.


I know it seems like a tall order, but I'm going to try this out because, well, what have I got to lose?!

I'll be reporting each day on my caloric intake and exercise to keep track.

1 comment:

  1. Wow that sounds so hard!! Good luck! I know you can do it :) And thanks for the shout out :)

    ReplyDelete