Friday, June 7, 2013

H20

We've all heard about the tremendous health benefits that water has. It's been preached to us throughout our whole lives, starting from kindergarten.

The human body has a dire need for this substance. We can go up to 7 days without eating and still live, but can perish in mere hours if the climate is hot enough and we don't have water.

Knowing this, it's fascinating how many times a day we reach for other substances to quench our 'thirst', when all we really need is a glass of water. Soda, juice, lemonade, iced tea, etc. are all common place in my house. When someone gets thirsty, no one reaches for water, but instead will go for anything else they can find.

It's been about 3 months since I've given up soda and I've never looked back. It's actually been one of the most liberating things that I've done in a while. I've noticed several benefits, and I also am no longer putting any of those harsh chemicals into my body.

It wasn't hard at all actually, I just simply stopped. I didn't have to wean myself off the drink, or get any weird cravings, I simply reached for water.

When I told my family, they were all shocked. During our weekly grocery store trips, we used to buy six bottles of Coke Zero, two cases of Sprite cans, and three  orange juice gallons. I think that's roughly $20 a week on drinks!!

In a year we spend ONE THOUSAND FORTY DOLLARS ON VARIOUS LIQUIDS.

It's not only healthier to drink water, but it's just cheaper! I wish we'd have taken those $1,040 and went on a vacation to the beach for a week!

There's many different reasons to stop drinking other liquids with added sugars and chemicals, but until you find one that hits you in the gut, no matter what anyone says, you're not going to quit.

But, in the meantime, there are various ways to spice up your water to make it taste better!

Studies show that a glass of warm or hot (or any) lemon water in the morning before your first meal aids your digestive system and cleans your liver.

Lemon, mint leaves, cucumbers, and even orange slices are some of my favorite things to add to my water to keep it from getting boring!

And sparkling water is the perfect alternative for those people who enjoy the bubbly taste of soda. Add some fruit to that, and you've got a great refreshing drink!!



No comments:

Post a Comment